This is not a scientific approach to selecting an agent or an online date, but a more visceral method. We’re going with the gut! I’m having a little tongue in cheek fun with this post.
1. Do they pass the stink test?
- Does the agency have a website? Does it list an address, clients, book sales, submission information, contact numbers?
- Is the online date always asking about your bank account, investments and how much cash is in your wallet? When you ask for his/her cell number, you end up calling a fast food restaurant or an adult only number.
2. Do they promise more than they can deliver?
- Does the agent tell you “you are the next Stephen King or J.K.Rowlings”? If so, run away. Seriously, you’re not that good!
- Does their picture scream beauty queen or handsome beefcake, but make you scream when you see him/her?
3. Do they take more than they give?
- Does the agency charge reading fees, submission fees, a higher than standard percentage for representation?
- Is the date high maintenance? Does he/she always complain about the movie, dinner or your appearance along with a hundred other objections? Is the date always late, never happy, a “what-have-you-done-for-me-lately person”?
4. Are they what they represented themselves to be?
- A legitimate agency with real clients, book sales, etc.
- Is the date as active as his/her bio say he/she is or is the date really a couch potato who claims to sky dive, BASE jump and wrestle bears with their bare hands? (Former lives don’t count.)
5. Do they cause more grief than pleasure?
- Do you have to make repeated phone calls about royalty payments to the agency? Do they return your calls or emails?
- Does the date’s negative attitude about everything have your friends on a suicide watch?
6. Final words of caution:
- Beware of agencies that send snail mail correspondence with flowery fonts, multicolored inks and envelopes full of confetti (so you can clean up the party after you open the envelope).
- Beware of gents or ladies who keep an overnight bag in their trunk.
Post a Comment