We've all experienced a temporary writer's block or a dearth of inspiration or creativity. Below is a list of simple, easy and readily available ways to recharge your creative batteries.
1. Change your attitude. If you've created a huge obstacle for your character (that you're excited about), but can’t figure a way out, tell yourself positive statements. “I can solve this . . . I know I’ll find a way," etc. Avoid negative statements, "I'll never be able to solve this," etc., these statements can become self-fulfilling prophecies.
2. Take a break from your routine. Do things you haven’t done before, listen to different music, try a new dance, read something you normally wouldn't, visit an art museum, etc. Seeing or doing things you haven’t done before allows you to look at the world with a new perspective and stimulates your creativity.
3. Listen to complex music. Studies have long shown a link between music, intelligence and creativity. In the link below is an embedded video of a flash mob musical, notice the change on people’s faces.
4. Exercise. Movement and motion encourages the formation of new neurons in the hippocampus of the brain (an area thought to be the center for emotion and memory, among others). Exercise also stimulates new thought patterns fostering inspiration. I can personally attest to this one. After a ten minute walk in deep snow carrying weights, I wrote a chapter (rough draft) for a WIP that I was stalling on.
5. Take a nature walk, paying attention to the colors and smells. If you need to shake the cobwebs from your head and focus, it’s well established that greens and blues have a calming effect. If you’re looking to stimulate your creative juices and senses, look for vibrant colors.
6. Draw on your own resources. Who are the creative people you know or admire? Ask yourself how would they solve the problem? Picture yourself having a conversation with these people. This fresh perspective enables you to find the answers from within yourself.
7. Read or watch documentaries on creative people. Let them influence you.
Click How to Unleash Your Creativity and Find Inspiration Today written by Preston Ni M.S.B.A. for more detailed explanations and videos.
What are your tricks for fostering creativity?
These were great! Nature walking is a surefire way for me to get the juices flowing, as well as listening to music, looking at art, etc. and of course, talking to writing friends. :)ReplyDelete
Thank you! And you're right, talking to creative people can be inspiring as well.ReplyDelete